If this is your first time looking for a wig, you may not know where to start. You may have no idea what type of wig is best or even where to buy a wig at all. It’s important that your wig not only matches your style, but is also comfortable enough to wear everyday and manageable for you to maintain. The choice of where you buy your wig is one of the most important decisions you will make. When buying a wig, you have a few choices. We will cover those choices here as well as the basic types you will find when shopping.
Where to Buy A Wig
Where should you buy a wig? There are pros and cons to your various options. You should choose the option that best meets your needs and circumstances:
- Convenient: You can shop from home at your leisure 24/7.
- Largest selection.
- Low prices.
- Cons: You aren't able to try the wig on before buying.
Tips For Buying a Wig Online:
- When buying a wig online, only purchase from authorized resellers that are listed on the wig manufacturer's website.
- Look for shops that offer expert personalized consultations to assist in your purchasing decisions.
- You should only purchase from online shops that have a physical presence with a phone number and address clearly listed on the website.
- Check online reviews for the seller.
We may be biased, but our top choice for buying good wigs online is WigNice. Reviews can be viewed here. At Headcovers, we offer free wig consultations from certified wig specialists and an abundance of online wig resourcesto assist you through the buying process.
No matter where you buy your wig, reading through our resources is a good idea. You want to be as educated as possible before making a purchasing decision.
Amazon & EBay
- Pros: Low cost.
- Cons: Risk of the products you purchase being knock-offs or used/refurbished. No personalized help in selecting products.
Brick and Mortar Wig Shop
- Pros: Wig can be tried on in person and some wig shops are able to adjust the wig for you.
- Cons: Higher prices. Smaller cities may not have a wig shop available. Expertise of staff and overall experience can vary greatly. Selections will vary greatly. There can be high pressure sales to buy and pushes to upsell.
- When buying a wig from a wig salon, be aware that some shops order their wigs from China. Therefore, you may not be getting a name brand. Check for authentic hang tags attached to the wig and follow up by checking the wig manufacturer's website to ensure that the shop is an authorized seller.
- Some wig shops will push you to order a custom wig (which they typically order from China). We recommend avoiding this, especially as a first time wig wearer.
Beauty Supply Store
- Pros: May be available in locations that are too small to have wig shops.
- Cons: Lower selection. Very little help is provided by staff in selection. Quality may be lower than other options although some will carry name brands. You may not be able to try the wig on.
Hair Stylist: Buy Wigs from Your Hair Stylist
- Pros: Your hair stylist knows your hair and can help you select a color and style.
- Cons: Higher prices. Your stylist will probably order through a catalog so you won't be able to try the wig on. Stylists often order wigs through online companies for their clients.
Wig Buying Guide
Before you attempt to buy a wig, we recommend checking out this comprehensive wig buying guide so that you are armed with the information you need to make an informed decision.
The 3 Main Types of Wigs
Regardless of where you buy your wig, it's a good idea to have a basic understanding of the types of wigs. To learn more about cap construction, visit this "types of wigs" guide. Here are your three fiber options:
Many first time wig buyers are interested in human hair wigs because they assume that they will look and feel the most natural. It’s actually hard to tell the difference between a human hair wig and a high-quality synthetic wig, but both have their benefits. Real hair wigs can last a long time (a year or more) with the proper care, but can be difficult to manage for inexperienced wig wearers. Like natural hair, these wigs are sensitive to weather conditions and breakage so they require extra maintenance. Without natural scalp oils to condition the wig hair, you need to deep condition and moisturize regularly to preserve the quality and also restyle it.
If you’re up for a little extra TLC for your wig, the human hair option can definitely be worth it! Browse our selection of human hair wigs in a large variety of colors, lengths, and styles.
Women Wigs can be a great option for low maintenance, natural-looking hair, but the key is finding a QUALITY synthetic hair piece. Headcovers Unlimited provides hundreds of options for tried and true synthetic wigs that look like the real deal. We make sure that all of our products are tested for quality and appearance to keep you feeling confident and comfortable.
One of the advantages of synthetic hair is that it easily retains its shape, making upkeep a breeze. This is especially important if you’re dealing with health issues that make it difficult to keep up with regular maintenance. These wigs usually last 4-6 months with daily wear and proper care. Remember that because they are synthetic, they bounce back to their original style after washing so you have a bit less versatility. Still, synthetic wigs run a little cheaper than real hair wigs that need to be grown by people, so buying multiple wigs in different styles and colors can be affordable. With synthetic hair, you’re not limited to natural colors. If you’re feeling creative it’s easy to try fun looks like pink and purple because synthetic wigs are great for switching it up!
Heat Resistant Synthetic Hair
If you’re a wig expert looking for synthetic hair with more versatility, the heat resistant option could be the right choice for you. These wigs are designed to handle heated tools that can be used to restyle your hair. After washing, they will return to their last heat-styled look. Wig is usually less shiny/more realistic than regular synthetic wigs, but only last for a few months. You also have to be careful that the texture of your heat resistant synthetic hair does not deteriorate by avoiding excessive styling and abrasive contact with pillow, headrests, and other materials. These wigs can require advanced style skills to manage, so consider gaining some familiarity with wigs before committing to the heat resistant option.
Where to Buy Affordable, Quality Wigs
WigNice offers an amazing selection of synthetic and human hair wigs to make finding the perfect wig an empowering process. No matter your personal style, hair needs, or budget, our team is dedicated to providing the best wig options for you. With an online store and U.S. and international shipping, buying a wig from home is incredibly convenient.
If you’re still unsure about which type of wig would fit your needs, contact us at 1-800-264-HATS and we’d be happy to help you answer any questions! We also offer other wig buying guides, videos, and resources for extra assistance. As always we want you to feel confident and happy in whatever style works for you!