Just like your human hair, your wig also needs proper care. It also needs proper care to keep it soft and moisturized. The first you will notice about a bad wig is that it will immediately become dry and stiff. It will become more prone to damage and breakage which can ruin its quality over time.
Like our natural hair, wigs don't have a natural scalp. That means there is not natural oil and hence no moisture to keep the hair fibers soft and silky. That is why your wigs perhaps require attention and care than your natural hair. To keep a soft bounce in your wig, it is important to take care of a few important factors.
Avoid exposing to hard water.
Avoid long exposure in the sun.
Do not expose to chlorine water.
Do not wash it with seawater.
Keep them away from dirty and dusty places.
Are you suffering from a dry wig?
If you are suffering from dry wig, then following might be the roots causes:
Problem 1: You are over-washing your hair. Washing frequently can cause damage to the hair by stripping it off the bounce-causing chemicals.
Problem 2: You aren’t using any oil for your wig to keep it soften. Moreover, you might not be using a good conditioner as well.
Problem 3: You are over-styling your wig and using too many heating instruments too frequently. Blow drying, curling or straightening your wig too much can cause extreme danger.
If you aren’t doing any of the above blunders and you still find your wig getting dry and frizzy, then you might be using a poor-quality wig and you must replace it immediately.
Products you need
Moroccan Argan Oil
1. Shampoo and then condition your wig with good quality sulfate-free products. When washing and conditioning, always remove the wig from your head and hold it in your hand. Don’t wash the wig too often. Cleansing once or twice a week is sufficient.
2. After washing the wig, apply a leave-in conditioner and leave it afterward. Apply only a comb-sized amount of the conditioner and then comb through the entire wig gently. Make sure the comb you are using is a wig comb and not the standard comb used for natural hair.
3. Deep condition your wig at most once per week. Select a deep conditioner that having hydrating ingredients like shea butter. Afterward, wrap the wig with a warm towel for about 15 minutes. This will let the conditioner penetrate through the hair completely.
4. Moroccan Argan Oil is packed with sufficient ingredients that can moisturize your wig for a long time. Apply a palm-sized amount of this oil into your wig while gently rubbing through it with your fingers.
Tools you need
Thermal protector spray
1. Thermal protector spray is best to reduce moisture loss in hair and also protects the wigs from heat damage. As a bonus, they don't cost too much and you can get yourself one under $25. Therefore, whenever you need to go out in the sun, apply some thermal protector spray as it will keep the wig hair hydrated and keep it safe from adverse effects on bright sunlight.
2. If you rub your wig with a towel after washing, that can scratch away the essential oils and nutrients necessary for the health of the hair. Therefore, always use a hairdryer at LOW-HEAT and blow-dry your wig while combing it thoroughly with a wig comb. This will keep the wig moisturized afterward.
3. Mist sprays are loaded with coconut water and formula of Vitamin C that keeps your hair moisturized while providing healthy hydration. Applying it daily at night will have pleasant effects.
Habits you should avoid and develop
1. Wash your wig
Wash your wig timely with a good moisturizing shampoo. Make sure to remove the wig from the head while washing and use your fingers to carefully clean the scalp and rinse thoroughly.
2. Deep conditioning
Deep conditioning provides a cover of insulation to the wig hair and keeps the moistures lock-in. Also, it makes stylish easy. So, as stated before, make sure to deep condition your wig timely. After each conditioning, apply some moisturizer to the ends of the hair for the best result.
3. Cover your wig
The best advice would be to take off the wig when sleeping at night and place it in an upright position either on a wig stand or hang it by some hook. Next covering up the wig, preferably by a silk cloth is vital as it not only will let prevent it from dust but also keeps the moisturizer intact.
4. Dry the wig
Remember never to shake the wig with a towel after washing as that can result in the loss of necessary oils and moistures. Instead, use the hairdryer to dry it.
We have got a bunch of suggestions for human wigs as well as synthetic wigs. No matter what is the brand or quality of your wig, keeping it organized is important. If your wig is also losing moisture just like your natural hair, then try the following wonderful methods to revive it again.
Use Moroccan Argan Oil to moisturize your wig occasionally.
Invest in purchasing a moisturizing shampoo as well as a conditioner for your wig.
Buy a wig comb. It distributes moisture evenly among the hair strands and thus your wig remains soft and moisturized.
Avoid excessive use of hair dryer to style your wig. These heating instruments are the number one culprit of ruining your wig.
Use a thermal protector spray before using any heating instruments. These sprays keep the moisture locked within the wig strands and prevent excessive damage as well.
Always condition your human or synthetic wig from the base to the tips of the hair. Moreover, always apply some extra conditioner to the ends of your wig and leave it inside for a few minutes before washing it off.
If you have plans of sleeping with your wig on, then use a silk pillowcase. These pillowcases are an excellent fabric for wigs as they prevent it from drying out and retains the moisture.
Always wash and rinse your wig with lukewarm water to keep it soft.